Hi! 👋 I’m Jane, and I do smoothies.
I don’t do diets. Foods blogs about smoothies are always about dieting/fitness, whilst general food blogs focus on the actual blogger and their life. I want to change that.
In 2018, I was told that my body can’t take what I’m putting it through anymore and began the refeeding process. I starved myself for 12 years because a mental + physical disorder took over my brain and not eating became my coping mechanism. Recovery is the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life, and I’ve left an abusive environment — twice.
Smoothies by Color will never focus on the healthiness/unhealthiness of smoothies, because as part of my ED recovery, I follow the food-is-not-good-or-bad philosophy and eat all the things.
I do smoothies and have a blog about them just because I love them.
Now for some smooth deets about me:
- While my food blog is new, I’m not a new blogger. My personal blog is Janepedia. I co-operate Crunchy Family with my cousin, Charlise (with whom I live in Princeton, TX).
- The official Sorting Hat sorted me into Hufflepuff. My patronus is a grass snake, my wand acacia wood with a unicorn hair core 12 1/4″ and Slightly Yielding Flexibility. Ilvermony house: Thunderbird. These are the only personality test results I care about and think relevant. 🤷
- I paint my nails religiously. 💅 This came with ED recovery; I can’t explain it beyond assuming I channeled all the ED behaviors into my nails. Nail-biting was a nervous habit done away with after Prozac kicked in, and painted nails = great way to express personality.
- Mindy Kaling got me through a really dark time in my life. It started with The Mindy Project and went on to reading several of her quotes. I totally highlighted lines in Why Not Me? because some are too funny or real not to.
- Everything inspires me, but especially nature. 🌱 I comment about birds or photograph butterflies, and people assume specific things about me when they’d know the real me if they just asked and stopped assuming. Nature is beautiful; I feel connected to it.
- I’m the type of person who learns how to do things “just because” — not particularly for job purposes. I know how to rock climb, construct my own lamp, sing the alphabet backwards, paint my own fingernails (biweekly practice!), empathize + be a decent human being, tame stray cats, aid in toddler development (they’re a lot like cats), and a bundle of other seemingly useless things.
- I’m most zen when accompanied by peppermint tea and a good book.
- An ailurophile (cat person), I find I get on much better with fellow cat people.
- Kinsey Scale 6 (exclusive lesbian): Out, but femme, so I’ll always be coming out. It’s a forever thing.
- I’ve been alive for 29 years, but I don’t buy into the age BS (or look it, either). I have no qualms about almost being 30. Ages ≠ life stages. 👌